The National Archives of Finland’s customer and reading room services will reopen on Monday 1 June 2020 in Helsinki and on the following day, Tuesday 2 June, in other locations. The services will be resumed in a controlled manner to ensure the safety of customers and our personnel and to minimise the risk of infection.
The opening hours of reading rooms will follow the National Archives of Finland’s normal summer opening hours, unless otherwise stated. Information on possible deviations to opening hours during the summer will be given separately. Please check the opening hours of the location you intend to visit beforehand, especially if you have to travel to reach us.
The ASTIA online service will reopen for making document orders to reading rooms, inter-library loans, and applying for access rights to materials on 25 May 2020. The loan periods of inter-library loans have been extended to end on 30 June 2020. Other material ordered for reading room use has been returned to the archives and must be re-ordered. As an exception, the military service cards delivered to the Rauhankatu reading room before 16 March 2020 have not been returned to archives. Inter-library loans can be made from 25 May onwards.
No group tours or other public events will be held at the National Archives of Finland before September.
If a member of our personnel or a customer is discovered to have the coronavirus, the customer service operations in the location in question will be shut down in accordance with our general guidelines. The duration of the temporary shutdown will be decided on a case by case basis.
Please do not visit the National Archives of Finland if
Maintain good hand and coughing hygiene and keep a safe distance from other people
The best way to prevent coronavirus infection is to maintain good hand and coughing hygiene, to keep a safe distance from other people and to avoid all close contact. See the instructions given by the Finnish institute for health and welfare
Please follow the following instructions when visiting the National Archives of Finland’s customer and reading room facilities
- Before visiting the customer service, please wash your hands at the customer restrooms or use the hand sanitizer we have placed available near the entrances of our customer service facilities at all locations.
- The number of seats available at the customer and reading room facilities will be reduced to ensure that the recommended safe distances can be maintained both between customers and our personnel.
- Please keep a safe distance from others while waiting in the queue as well. Customer service will serve customers one at a time.
- Please wipe the keyboards of any devices in public use before you touch them. We have placed disposable paper towels and sanitizer near the devices for this purpose.
- Disinfect your hands with hand sanitizer after using the devices. Hand sanitizer is also available near the devices.
- Our personnel will avoid touching and accepting any notes or documents from customers and other physical contact. The pens and other supplies intended for public use in the customer and reading room facilities will be removed from use if deemed necessary.
- Please keep a safe distance from others and follow the hygiene instructions at the coffee machines and other break areas as well as possible. Hand sanitizer and paper hand towels are also available near all break areas.
- The National Archives of Finland’s personnel will give further instructions if necessary.
Instructions for volunteers and those working in partner projects
Volunteers and those working in our partner projects can continue working at the premises of the National Archives of Finland during our opening hours and in accordance with their agreements. However, all instructions for the prevention of coronavirus infection must be observed together with the more detailed instructions provided by our locations. In addition, please remember the following.
- Workers belonging to the risk groups defined by the Finnish institute for health and welfare should not enter the premises.
- Workers experiencing flu-like symptoms or symptoms associated with the coronavirus should not enter the premises.
- Workers who have been abroad within the last two weeks or have reason to otherwise suspect exposure to the virus should not enter the premises.
- All workers must maintain good hand hygiene (specifically by washing their hands properly with soap and drying them carefully).
- The location’s personnel should be informed of all disturbances or if you have reason to suspect exposure.
- Workers can only use the customer restrooms, or the break areas and restrooms dedicated to them.
- Workers can only use a separately agreed-on space as a break area (having lunch etc.)
- The National Archives of Finland will ensure these instructions are followed and monitors the use our facilities.
- Failure to comply with these instructions will lead to the termination of the operations of external workers.